Travels - > Middle East - > Libya - > Tripolitania
The Tripolitania is a historical region of North West Libya, correspondent to the ancient Tripolis, for whose coast is extended around 800 kms and you/he/she has bathed from the Mediterranean sea. The territory of the Tripolitania can be divided in the five zones: proceeding toward south from the band coastal call Gefara, low and sandy, the mountains of the Jebel are met, the steppes of the Ghibla, the highland of the Sirtica and, finally, the desert of the Giofra.
The region is inhabited above all from Arabs devoted to the agriculture and the breeding, above all of sheep. Other resources are represented by the salt pans, the oil refineries, the tanneries and factories of soap.
Colonized by the Phoenicians in the VII century a.C., the Tripolitania became territory of Carthago subsequently and, after the punic wars, Roman province. The region was conquered by the vandals in the V century AD, by the Byzantines in the VI century and by the Arabs in the VII century. During the XII century was invaded by the Normans of Sicily and in 1510 the city of Tripoli was conquered by the king Ferdinando V of Castile. In the 1530 Ferdinando assigned the government of the city to the Knights of St. John that were expelled in 1551by the Turkish pirates. Since then up to 1912 the Tripolitania belonged to the Ottoman empire. Base for raids of piracy, suffered for this repeated attacks from the European countries.
In 1911 outbroke the italo-Turkish war and in base to the accords of the Treaty of Lausanne, that ended the conflict in 1912, the region became Italian territory; in 1934 it entered to belong to the Italian colony of Libya, attached to the kingdom of Italy in 1939. Entrusted to the British administration after the expulsion of the Italian and German strengths during the second world war, Tripoli was attached to Libya in 1951.